The first school was constructed in 1874 and Anton Buhr was hired as the first teacher, In 1877, fifty students attended the school. In 1905, a new brick school house was constructed south of the cemetery. At this time, a convent was also constructed and teaching sisters came to serve the school. In 1924, a public school was built in Johnsburg by Districts 72 and 6 across the road from the Catholic school. This school house burned down in 1948 and the District No. 6 students began attending the Catholic school. Additions were made to the building in 1958 and 1960. In the fall of 1966, grades 7 and 8 were discontinued at the Catholic school with the children attending the Adams Public School. In the spring of 1967, the Johnsburg Catholic School closed when the sisters were withdrawn by the mother house in Rochester, MN. Some students began attending the Visitation Catholic School in Stacyville at this time.